Greek salad stuffed pita pockets with hummus and parmesan chicken makes a great light dinner or noontime meal. The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s simple and affordable to make, and can be altered to accommodate vegetarian recipe variations.
Simply prepare your favorite style of Greek Salad, vinaigrette, hummus, and parmesan chicken strips and stuff in a pita bread pocket. Serve with the pita bread slightly warmed along with warmed chicken and cool salad and hummus. The complex variety of Mediterranean flavors and textures will certainly satisfy hungry appetites. On a plus side, this is a wonderful, delicious, kid-friendly meal.
The History of Greek Salad
Greek salad is a common first course to many Mediterranean meals. This fresh chopped salad recipe was originally called peasant salad or country/village salad and is made with chopped leafy lettuce such as romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions, and is topped with kalamata olives, feta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil. Seasonings for this Greek salad recipe vary, and may include salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and fresh oregano.
The traditional Greek Salad has been adopted and enjoyed by Nations in North America, Europe, South Africa, Australia, and the United Kingdom. The Americanized version may include peperoncini, capers, parsley, anchovies or sardines, avocados, and pickled hot peppers. Some restaurants in the Detroit, Michigan area also add beats.
Greek Salad Recipe
- ½ head of sliced Romaine lettuce
- 2-3 c. raw spinach leaves
- 3 large chopped tomatoes
- 1 large peeled and sliced cucumber
- 1 large diced bell pepper (use a red, yellow, or orange bell pepper to add color to salad)
- 2 large avocados, peeled and diced
- 1/2 thinly sliced red onion
- 8 oz. of pitted Kalamata olives
- 8 oz. of seasoned, crumbled feta cheese
Greek Salad Vinaigrette/Dressing Recipe
- ½ c. red wine vinegar
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tbsp. of honey
- Mix ingredients and reserve in a cruet until ready to serve
Greek Salad Directions
1. Wash and chop all veggies according to recipe.
2. Toss ingredients together in a large serving bowl.
3. Sprinkle olives and crumbled feta cheese over the top.
4. Chill salad.
5. Prepare and reserve vinaigrette until salad is served.
Parmesan Chicken Strips
- 12 Chicken tenders
- 1/3 c. Dijon mustard
- 16 oz. grated parmesan cheese.
- 2-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
Simply thaw out three to four chicken strips per person. Smother in Dijon mustard, and then roll mustard covered chicken in grated parmesan cheese. Sauté the parmesan covered chicken in a heated skillet with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until browned, usually 4-5 minutes each. Chicken strips may also be cooked under the broiler for three minutes on each side until browned. Total prep and cooking time should be about fifteen minutes.
Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
- 1 14.5 oz. can of garbanzo beans
- 1/4 c. of roasted red peppers
- 2 tbsp. of tahini
- 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- 8-10 Kalamata olives
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1-2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- ½ juiced lemon
Combine beans, tahini, pepper flakes, olives, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in food processor until mixture is pureed. Transfer to a small bowl to use as a spread for the Greek Salad Pita Bread pockets.
Serve Greek Salad and Parmesan Chicken Pitas
Finally, after all of the easy preparations, simply smother the inside of warmed pita bread pocket with hummus, stuff in some Greek salad, and Parmesan chicken strips.